Monday, June 8, 2009

Officially Unemployed, and other assorted life changes

I have been officially unemployed (well, at least not pulling a paycheck), since June 1.  This is a very Very VERY strange transition to experience.  I spent last week TRULY unemployed - both Darling Girls were still in school and day care respectively.  Unfortunately, my newfound freedom proved to be a bit too free, and I did not do half of the tasks that I had set for myself.  Starting today, Miss Fletcher is with me full-time.  It is such a wonderful opportunity to spend time with her, time that I did not have with Gryphon. . . 

I struggle to find the right balance of tasks, schedules, etc.  Without a schedule imposed upon me by the daily grind of a 9-5 office job, I have the opportunity to schedule my life ALL BY MYSELF!  But I'm not sure how. . .  

How much time do I spend reading the news everyday, and writing, in order to keep myself engaged in my chosen field, in the hopes of actually pulling in a few contracts to actually earn some money?  How much time do I spend on the house everyday (cleaning and laundry, not to mention reorganizing, stripping paint, repainting, etc)?  And how much time do I spend just focused on Fletcher (and eventually, Gryphon too)?  

I have been mulling over undertaking a research/writing project over the next month or two, specifically on this topic.  It is about the process that people undertake on a daily basis of moving between worlds.  Some people go to work, and put on a persona - one very separate from who they are at home.  Some people are lucky and have made work for themselves that allows for them to not endure a forced split personality.  Some people, like me, feel schizophrenic half the time, trying to move between, for instance, motherhood, politics, work, neighborhood, etc, etc.  Not sure how this is going to work. . . I'll keep you posted.

On my schedule for today:  laundry.

No comments: